Friday, May 25, 2012

the theme of ice cream


Summer is coming, we finally got the chance to do the theme of ice cream, which had been requested by our children since the Christmas. I promised our children I'd buy a ice cream maker and produce our own ice cream at our daycare.

make real (very real) ice cream

Our ice cream recipe was super simple, only 6 ingredients (egg yolks, heavy cream, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla extract). When I read the nutrition fact labeled on the store-bought ice creams I was surprised how many ingredients in there and at least the half of the ingredients I even could not pronounce.
counting eggs -- a math game before we started

separating egg yolks from the whites

separating egg yolks from the whites

slowly  churning  the ice cream in the maker
 It was too soft to serve once the ice cream was churned in the ice cream maker, I did not know about this. Our children were a little disappointed for they could not have their ice cream on the same day after putting so much work into it.


ice cream is done (not ready to serve yet)

Transferring the ice cream into the containers and freeze
 Each child had a ice cream like this on the next day before they went home with parents. What a moment to see those happy little faces glowing with excitement and satisfaction !!

I had one myself, it was heavenly.... so creamy and so real......I probably will not buy any more ice cream this Summer.
final product (with chocolate syrup and waffle cone)
making a pom pom ice cream

We made pom ice cream together on Friday. We had our children use the alphabet sticker to spell out their first name on the "cone".



Ice cream maker play dough


No comments:

Post a Comment